Friday, November 19, 2010

Unit 11: Web Search and OAI Protocol (11/22)

 ReadingsNotes:
David Hawking , Web Search Engines: Part 1 and Part 2 IEEE Computer, June 2006.
These articles were interesting gave a summary of how search engines work. Part one discussed how information is indexed and how crawlers work. The second part dealt with algorithms and how the searchers, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft are processing information faster than ever before. It is astonishing to me when I think of the magnitude and the capacity to process so quickly through so much information.
 Shreeves, S. L., Habing, T. O., Hagedorn, K., & Young, J. A. (2005). Current developments and future trends for the OAI protocol for metadata harvesting. Library Trends, 53(4), 576-589.
      The Open Archives Initiative, OAI was designed in 2001 to allow interoperability between various groups; to collect their own metadata and then share it. The idea was to have a standard among institution thereby allowing for the ease of sharing and accessing information.

3) MICHAEL K. BERGMAN,  “The Deep Web: Surfacing Hidden Value” http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/07-01/bergman.html
This article was fascinating to me.  I had never heard of such a thing as ‘The Deep Web”. I feel like the web is an infinite entity and now I learn through this article that the majority of information come from the ‘surface web’ and that the deep web is 500 times larger, most is public accessible, generally has a higher satisfaction rating, and a greater number of linked sites. I am left in awe and wonder.
Comments:


Muddiest points for 11/15
I have no muddiest points at this time.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberly,
    I completely agree with you in that it is amazing when you look at the amount of information available over the web, and the effectiveness of some of the most popular search engines! It was also interesting to note that many of these search engines keep their indexing techniques a highly kept secret. Which I see as important for the stability of their businesses...but there is a part of me that wonders if any positive advancements regarding web indexing might evolve if techniques were more open... this is just a thought and probably never going to happen due to the economics involved, but I just thought I would throw it out there. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete