Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week Three Reading Notes




Machtelt Garrels. “Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide”    
    http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/

What a tome! I focused on the first chapter, the What is Linux?  In doing so, I learned that Linux is an implementation or tool of Unix.  It was funny to me to have the author ask us to imagine computers as big as houses. I don’t have to imagine< I remember!  This article was clear and succinct and there was everything I ever wanted to know about UNIX and the creation of the Linux system.  It is evident that the success of technology is user driven and without all the geeks, (I say that in the most loving of terms, as my son is one), and hobbyist the complexion of today’s personal computer and it operating system would look substantially different today.


What is Mac OS X?


December 2003? You’re kidding right?  I am not sure I understand what it is I need to be getting from this article. In the intro the author states he will “attempt to give a hacker over-friendly answer to the question "What is Mac OS X?".  I don’t know if this is the current operating system, but the author did an overview but I came away not knowing the focus of the article.


Mac OS X

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again this article had a ton of information. It is Wikipedia, after all so a great launching place for users to find what they are looking for and can go from there. It does however after reading these three articles bring me to my

Muddiest point.  As a non- computer hardware person and with eyes glazing over at the technical side of the readings and version of versions being explained in detail, what am I supposed to take away from the readings? Am I to focus on some aspect of the technology or marvel at the advancements at such a rapid rate or something entirely different?




Paul Thurott “An Update on the Windows Roadmap” 

Again, a 2008 blog so as a non geek, but acutely aware of the rapid changes I am not sure of the necessity of this article except from a historical background or overview. I still have issue with library users that have Vista as their operating system, and it struck me that new versions come out when the old one is just getting the bugs out.  I think this quote sums it up, “The architectural changes that improved security and resilience in Windows Vista led to compatibility issues with existing hardware and applications. Many hardware drivers and applications needed to be updated, and while the majority worked well when we launched Windows Vista, some key applications and drivers were not yet available”

Senior vice president, Bill Veghte memo makes flaws seem like a good thing and that users should be as happy to change and adopted the latest and greatest versions,, because it’s more, better, bigger, and faster.

A good and lively dialogue follows, with similar and supporting observations like my own. Users think alike. We want it to work and we don’t want to change if it’s working and if it’s not …don’t make us use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment